Saturday, September 15, 2018

Breakfast

Quick post today about breakfast.  I found out very early on that I can't eat any carbs for breakfast.  I have to start my day with just protein......no toast, fruit, or anything carby.  For me, it sets the pattern for the day with my sugar.  If I eat any carbs first thing in the morning, it jacks my sugar and I have trouble maintaining it throughout the day.  So......what do I do?

I make sure that the only thing I eat first during the day is protein only.  I usually eat 1 egg and 2 slices of bacon.  I use regular bacon or turkey bacon.  Eating this everyday does not bother me like the hamburgers did.  Sometimes I eat my egg scrambled, sometimes I make egg muffins, but most of the time I eat a boiled egg.  I started doing this because it was faster to have the eggs ready and not have to cook before I left to teach for the day.  Now that I have retired, I do it because I tend to sleep later, and it keeps me from having to cook and eat later. HA!

I used to boil up about 6 eggs, so I had them for the week.  That was okay, but after a couple of days in the fridge, they got kinda hard to peel.  I would end up throwing away a good chunk of the egg because it was stuck to the shell.  It was still easier than cooking each morning, but it was irritating trying to peel them.  Then, I tried the already boiled and peeled eggs that you can buy at Walmart.....ummmmmm........NO!  They tasted like little pieces of cardboard.  Not that I have actually ever eaten cardboard, but what I imagine it would taste like. I still like the egg muffins, and would make them up and freeze them.  They were great to take out of the freezer, pop into the microwave, and eat.  The one thing I did not like about them was that I put my bacon inside them, so that would be all that I ate at breakfast.  It always felt like I was getting ripped off by eating just an egg muffin!

Since I have gotten my Instant Pot, I am back to eating hard "boiled" eggs.  They are SIMPLE to cook in the pot, and super easy to peel.  Yes, even days after cooking them!

I use the 2-8-5 method of cooking them.  I put a half dozen eggs on the trivet in my instant pot insert, and add a little over a cup of water.  After sealing the lid, I set the pressure cook button and set it for 2 minutes.  Once it gets done with the 2 minutes, I let the air release naturally for 8 minutes.  I then release the remaining air, take the lid off and remove the eggs.  I put the eggs in a bowl with ice and water for 5 minutes.  Once the 5 minutes is done, I drain the water, dry the eggs, and let them cool for a few minutes before sticking them in the fridge.

The peel will slip right off of one just removed from the pot.  The next day, the peel will still come off very easily, but I run it under water as I am peeling it.  I also squeeze it a little to allow the water to get inside the shell.  This helps it to peel right off!  They are just as good on the 6th day as they were on the first, and peel just as easily!

This is my method for starting my day and setting the pattern for my sugar.  Hope this helps someone along the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment