Sunday, September 9, 2018

I Want Pasta!

I wanted to share a quick post today about pasta.  I love pasta, but we all know that pasta does not love diabetics!  I did find some pasta that is lower in carbs than regular pasta!  It's in the frozen section at Walmart.  I am sure you could find it at other places, but that's where I usually shop. 


It is made by Bird's Eye, and it's made from zucchini and lentils. It comes in a steamable bag and cooks in 4 minutes.  It has carbs, but they are complex carbs and will not normally jack your sugar.  There are about 2 servings per bag. There are 22 carbs in each serving with 2 dietary fiber, so that means 20 carbs per serving.  Regular elbow macaroni has 43 carbs for 1 C cooked, so this is a HUGE difference.

When I am wanting spaghetti, this is a great alternative.  It gives me that "Italian" taste that I am wanting, but does not give me the carbs!  I get the original flavor kind and add my low carb pizza sauce! I use Great Value Pizza Sauce. I tried it because it was the lowest in carbs, and it is REALLY good! I'm not one that has to use name brands anyway, so this works well for me! I may add hamburger or pepperoni, and I usually add Parmesan cheese.  It really satisfies that desire for spaghetti. 






I also use it to make macaroni and cheese.  I simply cook the pasta, add cheddar cheese and heavy whipping cream (it is REALLY low in carbs.  I don't use much, so it does not add much fat).  It is a fantastic alternative to mac and cheese when I want that. 

One thing I have learned about using these noodles is to wash them really well with hot water after cooking so that there is no bean-type juice on them.  They taste really good, but when I am using them for other things besides just eating them plain.....which I really don't do......I want the water washed off them so it does not over-power the flavors I am adding.

These come in several flavors, but I have only had the cheddar cheese penne pasta and the original flavor.  Those are the only 2 flavors that they have had here.  I really want to try some of the other flavors, especially the Fettuccine Alfredo and the Spaghetti with marinara.

Hope this is helpful for those of you who are like me and love spaghetti, but really can't eat it without paying the consequences.  I am always on the lookout for alternatives to the "bad" foods that I like.
Have any of you tried any of these?  If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment