Friday, October 21, 2022

Potatoes? No....Faux-tatoes!


Who doesn't love potatoes?  I know I do. However, having blood sugar issues hinders my consumption of potatoes for the most part.  I was raised on "meat and potatoes."  Potatoes were a staple.  We had mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, potato cakes, hash browns, French-baked potatoes, boiled potatoes, potatoes au gratin, and scalloped potatoes. Get the idea?  I love potatoes!  One of my favorite kind of potatoes is scalloped potatoes. They just pair so well with so many things. And.....who doesn't love all that creamy goodness???  I think potatoes are the one thing I miss most about not being able to eat whatever I want.  One thing about eating as a diabetic seemed to be the lack of choices. Side dishes seem to be so limited.  I mean, there are only so many things that you can do with broccoli and cauliflower!

I was so excited to find a great recipe for scalloped potatoes faux-tatoes! They are made with....turnips!
Now, hear me out.  I don't like turnips. At all.  They are bitter and taste.....well, nasty! However, I was willing to give this recipe a try because of my love for scalloped potatoes.  If this recipe could give me the "sense" of eating scalloped potatoes, why not try it? I was desperate at this point. I gave it a go, and it was 💗 at first bite!  It is now one of my go-to recipes for a side dish.

I cannot take credit for this recipe. I found it on a YouTube channel named  Papa G's Low Carb Recipes. He has TONS of great low-carb recipes.  Here is a link to this recipe:


Go on over and give it a try.  Don't let the turnips scare you off.  It is definitely YUMMY, and it really doesn't taste like turnips! I would still be looking longingly at the scalloped potatoes in the grocery store aisle if I had backed out because of the turnips.  If you love turnips, you've REALLY got nothing to lose.  If you hate turnips but love scalloped potatoes, you have everything to gain!  Go on.  Give it a try!  You'll thank me if you do!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment